Q. What could be the cause for the tooth to turn black?

Dr. Krishna Swaroop Achanta

I have a dental phobia and have not been able to visit a dentist in years. What could cause one tooth to turn black and the other tooth to have blackness on the gums? Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

You need not worry much about visiting the dentist, as regular dental checkups are essential to prevent oral diseases, infections, and even precancerous lesions for all age groups. So from the images you have enclosed (the attachments are removed to protect the patient's identity), I can see that the last molar has a big cavity that needs filling (front surface and buccal filling). In the other image, the gum blackness would be because of either hormonal changes due to contraceptive use or because the gum would have started changing color or would have been diseased there. After all, you have not got deep dental cleaning in so many years. Yearly scaling is suggested for you to keep dental and gum disease away.

I hope you find it helpful.

Kind regards.

What kind of disease would the gum have? Is it reversible? Also, the black mark can be a stain and not a cavity? It does not hurt at all.

#

It is called gingivitis or generalized gum inflammation, which most ladies tend to have as part of the body's normal physiology. The black mark on your gums is not a stain. It is like melatonin deposit on the gums or maybe even any small gum lesion (which needs physical examination) that makes it look dark.

Get regular dental cleaning done every six months to one year because the cavity or the general deposits you have will not go by tooth brushing. It will not hurt, but a color change also indicates gum infections. As scaling or dental cleaning is a non-invasive procedure, just like water rinsing, you need not worry about visiting any experienced dentist.

Kind regards.

I meant the brown mark on my tooth. Could that be a stain? It does not hurt at all. Or is it a cavity?

#

This picture is much clear. Usually, we probe that spot in the clinic, so we get to know if that part is decayed or not. From visual observation, it looks like a cavity that needs filling. Of course, stains are also present on your teeth that will go away on dental scaling, but this tooth looks cavitated from the front. It will not hurt till the cavity involves your root canal or nerve. So better to avoid a future root canal, and it is best to go for a filling now.

Kind regards.

With this type of cavity, can I have a filling that looks the same color as a normal tooth?

#

Hi, Welcome back to icliniq.com.

You can get the same or nearly the same color (composite tooth filling) done for that tooth in case there is a cavity, as I said. If they check and tell you it is just a stain, they need to clean it thoroughly to see if it can be scraped through dental scaling (water cleaning) completely. So do not worry; both are very non-invasive procedures, and you can visit the dentist without any tension. Also, I suggest remineralization toothpaste for night use; this can prevent future cavities. You can use that once daily for three to six months.

Kind regards.

|