Q. Do I have gingivitis or more advanced gum disease?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
and medically reviewed by Dr.Sowmiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 13, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jan 29, 2022

I am wondering if I have gingivitis or more advanced gum disease? My gums are red, a little more so than you can tell in the picture, inflamed, and somewhat sensitive. I have been brushing and flossing twice or three times a day. Is it possible for me to reverse these symptoms at home? That would be preferred because I cannot pay for a dentist's visit. I have just started using salt water rinses to try and help reverse the gingivitis as well. Also, what mouthwash and toothpaste would be best for me to use to reverse the symptoms and restore the health of my gums? Lastly, can I take an antibiotic, such as Amoxicillin 500 mg capsules, to help fight any bacteria and reverse the symptoms? I would greatly appreciate any help and guidance that you can provide.

#

Gingivitis is easily reversible, but at least a dentist's cleaning of teeth and gums has to be performed every six months or a year. This helps in removing calculus and plaque buildup. It will not go away just by brushing or flossing. Use warm salt water gargle, and Amoxicillin 500 mg will help after removing the calculus buildup.

|