Q. Do you think that the stains next to the filling are cavities?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Jan 15, 2017

I have attached the photos of my teeth. The tooth, which is next to the tooth with a filling, has some small stains. What are these little stains? Are they cavities? This tooth often feels sensitive and at times hurts when I floss if I have food stuck between my teeth. I am on birth control pill.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• The stain does not seem to be a cavity by seeing the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Sensitivity and pain while flossing seems to occur due to the deep filling and food impaction between those teeth.
  • Also, the two metal filling are touching each other, which should have been avoided as they create a small positive negative electrode effect due to constant movement while chewing and create a small charge, which will cause high sensitivity at times.
  • At least, one filling should be replaced with a composite material to prevent sensitivity. While doing it the dentist will reshape the contact point, so that it does not pain while flossing and the area cleans properly without causing food impaction.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Why is Chlorhexidine mouthwash used only twice daily?

Query: Hello doctor, Why is Chlorhexidine mouthwash used only twice and not thrice daily?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.Chlorhexidine mouthwash is only used twice daily because of the following reasons:It has a property to stain teeth if we use it more. As we brush twice a day, which is recommended for every healthy person, and mouthwash works best after brushing teeth.Using mouthwash u...  Read Full

My 2 year old son's teeth are exposed and are sensitive. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 2 year old son, who was born through a c-section. One out of his six teeth is actively disintegrating. The enamel has come off, and the inner part of the tooth is exposed and sensitive to cold drinks. What should I do?  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms look like that of an early childhood caries (nursing bottle caries), which is commonly due to more sweet in the baby's diet and poor maintenance of oral hygiene. I would suggest you take an OPG (orthopantomography), an x-ray of all the teeth. The treatment...  Read Full

Why do I have teeth sensitivity, pain, and bad breath?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18 year old boy. I have teeth pain and sensitivity whenever I drink something cold or hot. Why does it occur? I also have stains on my teeth. I do not smoke or drink alcohol, but my teeth do not look white. How can I improve the colour of my teeth? Also, why do I get the smell ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashish Goel

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from halitosis. You must be having sensitive teeth, hence having pain or cold or hot sensation. I suggest using Sensodyne toothpaste. Try using Orahex (Chlorhexidine) gargles twice daily for bad breath. Slight staining is normal, it has to be noted ...  Read Full