Q. I have a small tooth cavity. Can it be cured by filling?

Dr. Nivedita Dalmia

I got my dental checkup done recently. A small cavity was observed on the side of my tooth between 2 teeth. I am attaching a photo of x-ray. Please check second upper tooth from left in the x-ray. Also let me know, if this can be cured by filling?

Do you have a question on Dental Fillings or Temporary Filling?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Nivedita Dalmia

BDS
Dentistry

I checked the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity)

Yes, this can be cured by restoration.

Is it similar to dental filling. How long does it last?

Dr. Nivedita Dalmia

BDS
Dentistry

Filling and restoration are the same thing, it is just two different terms used. There are different types of filling material that can be used. Sometimes, while removing the caries, the hole in the tooth looks too big, so we do temporary filling and call the patient after 2 weeks for permanent filling.

There are different types of permanent filling material such as silver amalgam, composite, etc. Amalgam is silverish black in color and composite is tooth colored. You cannot make out the filling that is done as it merges with the tooth. It is very difficult to say how long the filling will last, it depends upon the usage. But, the filling does not come out too soon.

I feel a hole in the tooth after root canal treatment. Should I worry about infection?
Query: Hi doctor, My upper incisor has a fracture. So, I had a temporary crown and then a couple weeks later I had a root canal completed. And today, I had my crown lengthening done to prepare for the permanent crown. My dentist mentioned to me that I would feel a hole in the back of my tooth, which I do....  Read Full »
Dr. Prerna Jain
Dentist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.The whole procedure you described is pretty standard and usually expected.During root canal treatment, till it is completed a temporary filling is placed in the hole. This hole on the back of the tooth is where the root canal treatment is done from.However, normally before ...  Read Full »

Are silver fillings hazardous to health?
Query: Hi doctor,  I recently had my tooth cavity filled with a silver filling. I read on the internet that silver fillings are toxic to human kind. Please suggest what I can do. Shall I get it removed, and replaced with some other material that is not hazardous?  Read Full »
Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Dentists have started to avoid using silver fillings. The only hazardous substance in an amalgam (silver) filling is mercury. But that too is not reactive with the human tissue. If you still wish to get it removed, get it replaced by a composite feeling. Take care. For...  Read Full »

How can we treat the gaps between the teeth?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 31 years old. I have gaps between my teeth. Can it be closed? By which process can it be closed?  Read Full »
Dr. Divya Banu M
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). We can try composite filling or veneer or porcelain veneers. But, it will make your teeth look broader and will affect your esthetics, as the gaps are generalized in the front teeth. Hence, ...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now