Q. Will a dental filling serve the same purpose of root canal treatment?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

I want to show my teeth x-ray to get proper advice. My former filling at the back of the tooth has been removed. Please suggest.

#

I went through your query and also seen the x-ray attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It would be of great help if you upload the x-ray in front of a white background and kindly do not crop it. As the crown portion of other tooths are not visible in the x-ray.

But still, I can say the x-ray reveals carious canine at the lower part of the crown involving a near pulp state. It is fine the fillings last about a year ago. But your dentist should have gone for a root canal as fillings in these places.

Kindly opt for a root canal now and get a tooth colored crown to solve the issue for a permanent basis.

If you upload an image without cropping the x-ray it would help me a lot as evaluation is done judging the other tooths too (length and height) and root ends to eliminiate any infection.

If it pains I would recommend Colgate pain out, Dresin mouthwash (pain relieving mouthwash), and Zerodol SP (Aceclofenac, Paracetamol, and Serratiopeptidase) SOS. As of my experience whether it pains or not going for a root canal now will be the best and ends the issue forever.

You blood work looks fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity), but cholesterol is quite elevated, so kindly adjust your diet accordingly and get a consultation.

I am sending some more x-rays, whatever I have. At present, I prefer good quality refilling of my teeth (upper right +3, backside) to avoid RCT. Is it possible? As I know, RCT will make the teeth dead, consequently it will finish in the next 10 years as I want to save this for life long.

#

I went through all the x-rays (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As an experienced endodontist, I can say that you can go for an RCT any time or any moment.

But for now as you feel the life of tooth will be limited (kindly do not feel so, as it stays there just like any other tooth). I have a good plan for you.

If the tooth is not painful. Ask your local dentist to place a temporary filling. Wait and watch for two weeks if no pain either, go for a permanent filling and to help the filling forever, opt for a dental crown for 360 ° protection life long. By this way, your tooth stays alive and problem free and the crown helps to bind the filling in a proper place. But this can only be possible if the tooth is not painful. And by painful I mean, without any medication. If it pains, RCT is your last option.

|