Q. Does dental implant surgery hurt?

Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Aug 19, 2018

My sister got one of her teeth decayed. Most of it falls off on its own. When we visited the doctor, he asked us to get an implant. She is terrified of hospitals and has an anxiety problem. What I want to ask is that whether doing implant procedure hurts?

#

I have gone through your query. What is the age of your sister? From your statement, I assume that most of the tooth structure of the same affected teeth fell on its own and the other teeth are good. To guide you better, I would like to see the image of the teeth. If the adjacent teeth are healthy, you can also go for a bridge, which is also a fixed prosthesis, but there should be teeth on both sides of the missing teeth, and the adjacent teeth will also be prepared and capped.

As far as the implant is considered, there is nothing to worry. The procedure will be carried out under local anesthesia, so there will not be any pain in 99.99 % cases, though she might feel pressure and any pain or discomfort during or after the procedure which will be managed with medications for comforting the patient. It will take time for the implant to get attached to the bone and the following procedures to complete. But it has a reasonable success rate and your adjacent teeth will not be affected. Make sure that the doctor knows her medical history if she has any.

Regarding anxiety, you can guide her positively at home. The doctor will also give early morning appointment if possible and manage her anxiety and if required (for severe anxiety), medicines will be given. Tell her that everything will be done with her consent and only if she is comfortable. We are there to help you. If anywhere she feels discomfort, she can tell the dentist, and he will stop the procedure or manage it. She can communicate about her anxiety and fears to the doctor anytime. If she wants, she can visit the dentist first for just communication. Accordingly, the treatment schedule can be planned. There is nothing to get scared. I would like to see the image to guide you further.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Everything You Need to Know About Dental Implants

Article Overview: Dental implants have changed the face of dentistry over the past few decades. Despite improvements in dental care, millions of people suffer tooth loss, mostly due to tooth decay, periodontal disease, or injury. Most of them are not aware of dental implants, which is the most reliable treatment option for missing teeth today. In this article, I have tried to explain in detail the various aspects of dental implants. Read Article

Dental implants have changed the face of dentistry over the past few decades. Despite improvements in dental care, millions of people suffer tooth loss, mostly due to tooth decay, periodontal disease, or injury. Most of them are not aware of dental implants, which is the most reliable treatment opti...  Read Article

I do not show my emotion at any time. Is that due to anxiety or social disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, I believe I have some form of social disorder. I do not have feelings like others. I do not feel empathy but can be empathetic on cue as I know the social cues. And I prefer to keep to myself. Can you please advise where I can be diagnosed? I have always thought it was anxiety as this...  Read Full >>

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the limited information you have provided, it is difficult to give an accurate opinion. It is possible you are describing some features of autism spectrum traits or Asperger syndrome which can manifest as social communication difficulties and anxiety. It is not unc...  Read Full

Why is my dental implant getting reinfected often?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my tooth removed and a dental implant done five months ago. About three months ago it got infected. I went to my dentist, who cleaned out the infection and prescribed antibiotics. The infection did not go away, so I was prescribed antibiotics two more times. Once again, the infe...  Read Full >>

Dr. Tooba Qazi
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. That is hard that you got infected several times. If still infection persists, now your dentist must remove the implant and let the area heal. Maybe this foreign body is not accepted well by the immunity of your body so infection had occurred. Antibiotic coverage is enoug...  Read Full