Q. I feel that both sides of my teeth do not come in contact properly after wearing retainers. Why?

Dr. Disha Kandi Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 23, 2021

Recently, I removed my braces and got my retainer. After a week, I started to realize that my bite became weird before getting my retainer. When I bit on both sides of my teeth, they did not come in contact at the same time. After getting my retainer too, I still faced the same problem. When I removed my first retainer, I did not have this issue. After few days, I started to have this problem. I thought that it will become better after wearing my retainer. But it is still the same. Is this normal? Initially, while removing my braces for the first time, I do not have issues. While waiting for my retainer, I start to face this problem. Now, even after wearing my retainer, I still have it. Do I need to wait for some time? Is there any problem with the retainer?

#

As per the description, you seem to have improper occlusal contacts. I want to know about the fit of your retainer. Please mention whether it fits properly. In most cases, it is just the feeling of patients that they feel to have some different contacts during biting. Most of the time, it becomes fine on its own. But in your case, you need to consult your orthodontist. You should know that a retainer is an appliance that helps to maintain teeth in position after undergoing orthodontic treatment. It is essential for maintaining the teeth in position. You have told me that you started to have this disturbing occlusion after having this waiting phase. I want to know whether you can be able to point out the touching area. It can be a high point. If it is a minor problem, then it can be corrected. In most cases, patients feel to have a disturbed occlusion due to a new biting produced without an appliance. If this is not the cause, then you need to check your fitting of the retainer. If everything is fine, then check for high points where it is touching first.

| 
1 out of 1 likes