Q. There is a spot of rust in my orthodontic retainer. Can I continue to use it?

Dr. Honey Nandwani
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have had braces for many years. I am almost finished with the treatment and currently use a retainer about once a week. I have just found rust and corrosion in the weld between the steel wires. How serious is this? What should one do? Can the retainer still be used?

#

• Orthodontic wires are usually resistant to corrosion and if the wire has corroded, it can release harmful ions inside the oral cavity leading to an allergic reaction and toxicity
  • So, I suggest you consult your orthodontist and get evaluated. He will change the corroded wire to a high-quality stainless steel wire. As the rust is not over a large area, there is nothing to worry about right now. But, do get it replaced soon.

Hope this helps. Regards.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|