Q. Why do I have a bad taste in my mouth after scaling?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

I had a dental examination and scaling done last week. After that, I had a very bad bitter or metallic taste in my mouth when I eat or drink along with a stinging sensation on my tongue. I also had sensitivity in my teeth. The only difference during this visit was an ultrasonic scaler was used, instead of manual scaling. I had never undergone scaling with an ultrasonic scaler before. The scaling was extremely uncomfortable. I had a bad taste in my mouth after scaling. But, it got worsened later in the evening when I tried to eat. Could this procedure have caused some nerve damage? Please help me. The next day, I also had a headache and felt nauseous after scaling. The bad taste, stinging sensation of the tongue and tooth sensitivity has got worsened badly. I have never experienced these problems after a scaling and a dental examination. I do not have any amalgam fillings. I have a history of sinus infections and TMJ pain.

#

Because of the irritation and vibrations of the ultrasonic scalers, sometimes, the salivary glands become hyperactive and secrete bicarbonate to counteract any acidic ion present in the mouth. Till now, you will be apprehensive. You can feel it. Do not get panic. Nerve damages never happen with scaling. In case, if you are taking fruits or drinks during the night, avoid it for two to three days.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|