Q. How can someone cope with depression?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
Published on Jun 25, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 29, 2019

I got married last year and I noticed that my wife feels down for a day or two every few weeks, most of the times she has a reason but she overreacts, and recently we had some financial problems and she faced some troubles at work that she considered might effect her career and it has been a week now, she feels depressed, but she refused to seek a professional opinion about her case and she is not taking medication for her depression. She suffered certain hard circumstances at her childhood and teenage years and I need your help to know how best I can deal with her and what can be done for her to feel better.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

Your wife will benefit by counseling or talking therapy to address her past adverse childhood experiences and help her manage her low mood. When a person is depressed, their thinking can be distorted and can view even slight setbacks in a catastrophic manner. You continue to be considerate and supportive in dealing with your wife's emotional problems. Try to have an open talk with her whenever she is ready. Do not force her to talk against her will but if you continue to offer support she will gradually be more receptive. Encourage her to eat well, sleep regularly and go for regular walking. Take care.

My sister's report shows 46, XY chromosome. What does this mean?

Query: Hi doctor, My sister is 18 years old, and she has never had periods. Recently, we did a test which said, 46, XY (20), 20 cells were counted, all cells showed 46 chromosomes. Small chromosomal anomalies and small clonal population may not be detected using the standard methods employed. Could you pl...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? This is a tough condition to explain, but let me try. 46 chromosomes mean the total number of chromosomes is normal. For a normal female, the sex chromosome should be "XX". "XY" means male. So, your sibling who is looking as or phenotypically female ...  Read Full

Are crying without reason, feeling useless and demotivated related to depression?

Query: Hello doctor, Do I have depression? I need to know because I think it will be a whole lot easier if I know and admit it myself. Last night I was crying without reason, it has been like this for five years now. I can go on not going out of my room for a week without eating and every time I worry too...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aneel Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Depression can be normal and can be a disease. Depression is diagnosed when a person has low or depressed mood for most of the day every day at least two weeks, lack of interest and pleasure in daily activities, other symptoms are sleep disturbances, appetite changes, p...  Read Full

Will my family support me if I change my career?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an engineering graduate. I am unemployed and fed up with everybody's reaction regarding my career. So, I avoid family gathering or party. I did not get a job yet, and it makes me frustrated. I am not able to find a right path and feel like crying. I am not happy with this situatio...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please do not feel bad about yourself. For a hard working person, any degree is good. Engineering is not a bad profession, just do not lose hope. Continue to do hard work and prove your worth. Please take the job even if the company does not pay much. It will help in ...  Read Full