Q. My sister's report shows 46, XY chromosome. What does this mean?

Published on Apr 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My sister is 18 years old, and she has never had periods. Recently, we did a test which said, 46, XY (20), 20 cells were counted, all cells showed 46 chromosomes. Small chromosomal anomalies and small clonal population may not be detected using the standard methods employed. Could you please explain what does it mean? What can be done for her? Will she be able to have kids?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing? This is a tough condition to explain, but let me try.

46 chromosomes mean the total number of chromosomes is normal. For a normal female, the sex chromosome should be "XX". "XY" means male. So, your sibling who is looking as or phenotypically female is actually or genotypically a male.

This is mostly androgen insensitivity syndrome, where genetically she is male, but her body tissues are not sensitive to the male or androgen hormone so that he will appear as female.

All of us are born as females in mother's womb, but which hormones we are exposed to, based on the genes, we get converted to male or stay as female. But in your sibling, the gene is a male, but his body receptors for this male hormones is not effective, so will continue to be female.

• You can repeat the karyotyping at a different center to confirm. You can have a scan of the abdomen and pelvis to look for what the internal organs are. As per this report, there should be no uterus, that is the reason for no periods.
  • She will need evaluation, hormonal management, few surgical reconstruction, and a lot of counseling.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Can you please help me interpret my NT scan report?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 44-year-old female. After my three miscarriages, I am 13 weeks pregnant now with IVF treatment. I have got my NT scan with double marker blood test. The results are as follows: Biochemical Trisomy 22 risk: 1:249, combined Trisomy 21 risk. Using NT & Other parameters: 1:946...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The NT (nuchal translucency) scan levels of nuchal translucency are normal with NT < 2.5 mm. However biochemical trisomy 21 risk is high but the combined NT+ biochemical risk is low at 1:946. You may upload the picture of the cutoff graph for a convincing opinio...  Read Full

Importance of Counseling a Patient Regarding Treatment Protocol

Article Overview: This article is basically about counseling and educating the patient and his family about the treatment that he will be undergoing and the requirements for the individual sessions. Read Article

Dr. Shakti Mishra
General Medicine Physician

Counseling and educating a patient regarding the treatment protocol before the commencement of the session is vital. Every patient is different. Every case is individualized according to the condition and the physiological status of the person. So, when a case is presented to us, we as medical ...  Read Article