Q. How to help my father to get rid of his depression?

Dr. K V Anand
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jul 20, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2019

My problem does not concern me, but it does concern my father, who has suffered from a rare disease last year, which left him paralyzed from the waist below for a month. Since then, a year ago, he has slowly been recovering, but the problem is that he is depressed and turning towards alcohol for pain release. He will not admit he has either of those problems to anyone, not even my mom, and now he has started talking about leaving us because it is the best for us. I want to help him but do not know how.

Dr. K V Anand

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

According to your father, he is doing the right thing. He is 54 years old. He had suffered from a rare disease last year, and it is taking time for his recovery. He is paralyzed waist below. He has nothing to do when he is alone. He is just laying down throughout the 24 hours, which makes him more and more depressed. Naturally, he (anyone for that matter) drifts himself into negative cognitive territories. Another thing you should understand here is that this kind of depression not neuro-chemical related. This is a deep disappointment.

Anyone experiences deep depression in their life due to adverse life events should follow such a course. Motivation and support are key to your father. He will be missing many things. Understanding him, identifying those missing aspects, getting him creative things to do at his bed, getting maximum out of him and motivating him to do all the above, these are the things we should concentrate on. Not psychiatric drugs, but psychological motivation and change of lifestyle and support are the three things that should support your father at this juncture.

Can depression be a cause for weight loss?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from gastric problem for the last one and a half month. I lost 4 kg due to depression. I did my whole body checkup and all the reports are clear. But, I am having pain in my right hand muscle as well as have body pain. Is it due to depression? I studied about leukemia on i...  Read Full »

Is a child diagnosed with cerebral palsy considered as disabled?

Query: Hello doctor, This girl's left side of the body is not working properly. She cannot hold or pick things from her left hand. She cannot move her left thumb. She walks on her left toes. She cannot stand straight without support on her legs. Attached are the MRI findings. Please tell me whether this is...  Read Full »

Are crying without reason, feeling useless and demotivated related to depression?

Query: Hello doctor, Do I have depression? I need to know because I think it will be a whole lot easier if I know and admit it myself. Last night I was crying without reason, it has been like this for five years now. I can go on not going out of my room for a week without eating and every time I worry too...  Read Full »