Q. I am depressed because a relative keeps touching my private parts. What to do?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 07, 2021

I am an 18 year old female, and I have had instances where a relative peeped into my room while I was changing, or touching me at private places. As a result, I do not trust anyone, and I never share things with anyone. I feel immensely depressed. It has been going on since I was 9 years old. I tried telling my mother, but at first, she did not believe me, then she tried to tell my relative that what he was doing was wrong, but he continued doing it. The next time it happened, I did not tell anyone, as it would really upset my mother. At the same time, my mother, due to some family problems, was talking about suicide with my father at night in bed. I was not supposed to hear that, but I did. Now and then, it crushes me, and I am depressed most of the time. Please help.

#

I can understand your concern.

• You have to understand that you cannot let anyone, even if he is your relative, do anything against your will.
  • You are just 18 years old, and if the thing is continuing even after complaining to your mother, then better to tell your father about this. Tell him in the presence of your mother. This should be stopped immediately.
  • Do not think that this will increase tension because this is a thing that cannot be ignored. If no one helps you, then approach family and child welfare department in your city. They have dedicated staff to address such issues. You can complain there. Please try to understand and do not ignore these things.

Thanks and take care.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|