Q. I am having severe bouts of depression in a new place. What should I do?

Dr. Anil Kumar Kumawat

I am in a new city where I do not know anyone. All my classmates seem to be uninteresting and do not care to talk. I am having severe bouts of depression. What should I do? Can anyone prescribe me over the counter antidepressants, please? Or any other way to feel good.

#

For how many days you have these feelings? New environment and a new job come with new challenges. And it is not the rule of life that you should get what you want or people with a similar hobby and habit will meet you every time, everywhere. We are the ones who make people alike and the important thing is we accept people with their mistake. Nobody is perfect. Try to make them a friend. If they are uninteresting, then you can make them interesting. It is not their ability, it is yours.

The best way to defeat depression is to keep talking. Say everything in your mind so that your mind and heart feels light. You can start other activities also like gym, playing games or the activity you want to do. Keep yourself busy anytime and stop thinking on trivial issues. You say you are introvert. Most of us are introvert. Nobody wants to face anyone thinking that something bad might happen. Come out of that fear. What people will say, what they are thinking. It is your life, you can live it with your own rules. Social phobia is very common. Everyone has hesitation during a presentation. So, do not bother about that as you start presenting in your own way. It will subside.

I am not prescribing any treatment because psychiatric medicines are not over the counter drugs. You can take them by prescription. You should start a psychotherapy session if you feel demotivated.

|