Q. My symptoms are suggestive of bipolar. Please help.

Dr.
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Sep 15, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2019

I am a student. For some months, I have noticed that my mind is playing tricks on me. It is more like every day I have a down phase which lasts for two to four hours when I feel all negative emotions are coming to my mind. I think of anxiety and fear. I feel like I have a beast inside my mind to which I have to fight to make myself in a normal state.

First, I thought it was depression, but it is not lasting for whole days, not it continuing for months, but more like two to three hours of down phase. I have seen people with severe depression, where it is difficult to get out of bed also a difficult task. This is not for me. At least I can talk to people, and I go to work every day.

For me to feel better, I have to sleep or distract myself with songs. I thought it might be bipolar, but I am not sure. I want to know can it be symptoms of mild to moderate depression, or is it bipolar or any other mental disorder or it is due to stress?

#

I can certainly understand your condition. I have worked through your attached query in detail. As per your symptoms, you possibly seem to have subsyndromal depression otherwise called as dysthymia. If it is not treated on time, it may convert into depression. (Please note mild, moderate and severe are grades of depression but not dysthymia).

In individuals with all the above symptoms, it is advisable to screen yourself for thyroid issues if not checked earlier. This is certainly not a case of bipolar disorder. It is advisable to consider certain medications to improve your symptoms. Treatment may last for six to nine months. In case if you are looking for a prescription, please let me know, I shall offer medications.

Stress

Complete Thyroid profile (T3, T4, TSH).

Depression, bipolar disorder

Dysthymia.

SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors).

Stress management.
Good sleep and appetite.
Avoid smoking and alcohol intake.

Depression - a State of Mood Imbalance

Article Overview: As this world is growing more advanced in every field possible, depression is becoming a common term talked about by almost everyone. Read Article

Let us see what depression actually means. Depression in simple words is a state of mood imbalance. It is characterised by prolonged sadness, irritability and loss of interest in daily activities. Changes in mood, irritability, anxiety, sleepiness, etc., are common but when these signs become so pr...  Read Article

Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD)

Article Overview: Obsessive Compulsive personality disorder is a chronic, disabling and difficult to treat mental disorder that remains unrecognized in majority of patients due to lack of awareness.  Read Article

Before you understand what is OCPD I am writing down a summary of a patient suffering from OCPD. "A 26-year-old woman has a lifetime preoccupation with rules, work, order, and stinginess. Even so, she is in trouble at work because she keeps missing deadlines and has difficulty making decisions. The...  Read Article

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article