Q. What is the role of genetic predisposition in depression?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 13, 2020

I am a mother of two children. My daughter at the age of 21 started showing signs of depression. She had to drop from university. After six years of struggle and treatment, she is on her way to recovery. But even now she gets panic attacks and feels depressed and is unable to handle stress.

My son at exactly the same age (21 years) started showing signs of depression. My kids had a very normal childhood without any issues. We are a normal healthy family.

My husband's family has a history of mental health issues. I have heard that at least one member from all our extended family branches had mental health problems. My father-in-law was a patient of chronic depression all his life. Please let me know if depression is genetic and is it possible that my children's problem is because of the genetic predisposition.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

You have asked a very pertinent question. As a parent, I can understand your quest for answers for your children's illness and treatment.

Depression is usually caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors. If there is a positive family history, a person is more vulnerable to develop depression, especially when faced with environmental stressors (epigenetics). So to answer your question, yes, genetic predisposition could have played a part in your children developing depression, but it may not be the only responsible factor. It is positive that they have a normal childhood. But any factors like academic pressure, or peer relationships, or social interactions or demands of growing up, etc., could have contributed to them feeling stressful which can then trigger depressive episodes.

With effective treatment, depression can be very well managed and your children can live productive lives. Treatment involves a combination of medication, psychological therapy like CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) and lifestyle changes. Regular exercise, yoga, and mindfulness meditation will be helpful.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Lifestyle Modifications in Hypertensive Patients

Article Overview: You can reduce the ill effects of hypertension like heart attack, stroke, and kidney disease by making changes to your lifestyle. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Dr. Rahul Rathee

Hypertension is defined as any of the following: Systolic pressure or upper value of blood pressure more than 140 mmHg. Diastolic pressure or lower value of blood pressure more than 90 mmHg. There is no substitute to drugs/medications to keep blood pressure levels under control in a hyper...  Read Article

Dealing with Chronic Physical Pain and Niggles

Article Overview: Pain is a debilitating symptom. It is often neglected, and has devastating consequences. The following article deals with common causes of pain, and its management. Read Article

Pain is a protective mechanism. It warns one, of the imminent, dormant, and potential danger. However, chronic physical pain can be disabling, and limits one's functional capacity. Women are more prone to pain than men, as revealed by several study designs and research methodologies. Those aged ove...  Read Article

Depression - a State of Mood Imbalance

Article Overview: As this world is growing more advanced in every field possible, depression is becoming a common term talked about by almost everyone. Read Article

Let us see what depression actually means. Depression in simple words is a state of mood imbalance. It is characterised by prolonged sadness, irritability and loss of interest in daily activities. Changes in mood, irritability, anxiety, sleepiness, etc., are common but when these signs become so pr...  Read Article