Q. How to maintain sugar levels with diet and medicine while fasting?

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar
Published on Dec 15, 2018

My mother aged 65 is diabetic for the past 9 years. Her medications are as follows. Forxiga (Dapagliflozin) - 10 mg : 0- 1- 0 (one tablet after lunch); Glucobay 50 : 1 - 1 - 1; Jalra - M 50/850 (Vildagliptin 50 mg, Metformin HCl 850 mg) : 1 - 0 - 1 and Amlopres AT - 25 : 0 - 0 - 1. We need consultation for the diet.

The patient is insisting on taking a small quantity of rice for lunch. Also, how to make the medicine and diet proper during fasting months, where we usually take a good meal at 3:30 AM (early morning) and strict fasting till 6:00 PM.

#

In case her sugars are in control, there is no harm in giving her a little rice. I would recommend you buy a glucometer for her so that you can monitor her sugars at all times. Meet your local doctor, so that he can advise you on how to manage the dosages at the different sugar levels.

This would come in handy during fasting as well. Because, in the case when your mother is not eating anything, not even water, that means she will not be able to take her medicines as well. So, you would have to check her sugars during that period and analyze if she can take her medications or not.

You would have to understand; she would not be able to eat high-calorie food like the others when you break your fast. However, you can try and reverse her daily cycle in those days, and she can eat her dinner and breakfast and take her medicines accordingly to her sugar levels.

Related Video

Three days after starting diabetes medicine, I feel dizzy. What is the reason?

Query: Dear doctor,Recently, I was diagnosed with diabetes and my blood sugar fasting was 231 and random was 271 mg/dL. I consulted a doctor and he prescribed me Qosmet 500 mg/ 50mg twice a day and Amaryl 1 mg once in the morning. After a week, my sugar was under control and blood sugar fasting was 93 mg/d...  Read Full »

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Does Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?

Article Overview: Tooth decay and missing teeth can prevent proper chewing ability and thereby affect digestion of food, but gum diseases can result in much more serious effects on one’s general health. This article aims to educate about the effects of gum/dental health on general health. Read Article

Dental diseases can be broadly classified as tooth decay and gum disease and both of these diseases results from bacteria. Gum diseases are generally referred to as gingivitis and periodontitis. The term gingivitis means inflammation of the gums and periodontitis suggests inflammation and destr...  Read Article

Ask a Diabetologist Now