Q. What should I do if my mom's diabetes medicine causes hypoglycemia?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

My mother was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Her first blood sugar test report was at 437. Now, after three months, the fasting level is 86. Last month fasting was 105 and post-prandial was 120. She is taking half a tablet of Glimepiride 2 mg and Metformin 1000 mg both twice a day. She follows a strict diet. Now I am worried about the possibility of hypoglycemia and unsure if she is considered a diabetic or not?

#

I just read your query about your mother and it seems that she has a very good diabetes control.

• However, if you reduce her dose, then her blood sugar level will go up and ruin her diabetes control.
  • If you ever find that she has symptoms of hypoglycemia like sweating, feeling cold, anger, hunger, headache, tremors, weakness, or dizziness check her sugar immediately. She can skip just the evening half tablet of Glimepiride if and when necessary.
  • Continue Metformin and the morning dose as it is.

Hope you find my advice of some benefit. Good luck.

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

|