Q. I am a diabetic since 8 years. Will me being diabetic affect my baby?

Dr. Divakara P
Published on Feb 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 17, 2019

I am a 51 year old man and my wife is 28 year old. I would like to have a baby. I have normal sex life. I have been having diabetes for the last 8 years (hereditary). No BP or heart problem. Occasionally, I have kidney stone issue. I do not smoke or drink. I have a few questions: What are the tests to be conducted for checking the quality of sperm for having baby? Any effective medicine for increasing the quality and motility of sperm? Is there any chance that my diabetes will affect my baby? If so, can I have any medicine or treatment by which the diabetes does not affect my baby? Please advise

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Thanks for posting your query.

See if you have a normal erection and ejaculating normally, then I do not recommend any tests unless you have been trying for a baby for the past one year and there has been no result. In that case first get semen analysis with culture test and revert back with report.

If this test shows abnormality then you need to undergo further tests which I shall recommend if needed. Yes there are effective medications to improve sperm condition but let me see your report first.

Diabetes can be due to both hereditary and nonhereditary. Nothing can prevent your child if it gets as hereditary. A good lifestyle can definitely delay the onset of diabetes. Do not worry about that.

Related Video

I cannot understand my semen analysis report. Please explain.

Query: Hello doctor,The semen analysis report is in my hand, but I cannot understand it.Liquefaction time- 30 minutes.Duration of abstinence- four days.Appearance- creamy white.Volume 4.0 ml.Ph 8Fructose- Present.Motility- 100.Spermatozoa- rapid 20%, slow 10%, non-progressive motility 5%, immotile 83%.Vita...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns about the semen analysis report. As per the available semen analysis report, you have very low sperm count and most of the available sperms are defective. As you can see that almost 80 % of your sperms are defective and ...  Read Full

Lifestyle Modifications for Women's Health

Article Overview: Learn about simple lifestyle changes and healthy habits that can help a woman stay disease-free and enjoy life to the fullest. Read Article

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Fitness Expert

Women of today find it very difficult to juggle between their personal and professional life, especially if they are mothers. But, having two incomes at home has become a necessity rather than a luxury. Yes, it does feel very good to call oneself a working woman, but the working hours are taking a t...  Read Article

How to maintain sperm count through treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. I am taking HCG 5000 and HMG 150 injection twice a week. My sperm production has started from azoospermia. We have done IVF and it was successful. My doctor asked to take testosterone injection, but if I take this my sperm production will...  Read Full >>

Dr. Deep Dutta
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) and HMG (human menopausal gonadotropin) are excellent choices to ensure a good sperm production, which is needed for fertility that you have achieved. However, this treatment combination rarely leads to normal testosterone levels, w...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now