Q. My 8 year old son weighs 30 kg, and he is always thirsty. Is he diabetic?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 29, 2021

Hi doctor,

I am worried about my son who is 8 years old and weighs approximately 30 kg. Over the last couple of days, he is constantly thirsty, it is very hot outside. Sometimes, he is also tired, although generally, he is very active. I tested his fasting blood sugar approximately 10 hours after a meal and it was 103. And two hours after a meal it was 126. Are these levels within normal ranges or are they a cause for concern? Thank you.

#

• I agree that he is 30 kg and 8 years old, but children of developed countries usually are overweight, which is because of under activity. Please allow him to live normally without added stress at this age, and give him a balanced diet.
  • There is no need to worry about any other tests. If he is thirsty, that is because he sweats a lot probably. Let him drink water. He does not have diabetes just because he is overweight and thirsty.

Hope my advice solves your concern. Good luck.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|