Q. Why did not the glucose monitor value and HbA1c coincide?

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

My father has been suffering from diabetes for the past 20 years. He is using Apidra (20 units in the morning and 14 units in the evening), Lantus (20 units in the morning) Insulin injections and Cyblex MV 40.2 mg twice a day. He regularly checks his blood sugar level using glucose monitor. It usually reads within 90 to 130 mg/dL, which is considered normal for a diabetic. Recently, he got his HbA1c test done in the laboratory and it showed 8.7%. He is worried whether there is a mistake in the monitor reading or in the laboratory report. I want to know whether the test is to be repeated in another laboratory. Or Should I consult his diabetologist for further investigations and treatment?

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

• The reading shown by the glucose monitor is the current value during the time of check, but HbA1c always denotes the control of sugar level over two to three months.
  • Hence, his HbA1c is abnormal (8.7%), that is, initially the sugar levels were quite high. As he took the right medicines, the blood sugar level has lowered.
  • I suggest Lantus Insulin injection (Insulin Glargine) that he is already using should be taken at night as it lowers more blood sugar. Consult your doctor, discuss with him/her and then take the medicines with consent.

For further information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

|