Q. Why did not the glucose monitor value and HbA1c coincide?

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

My father has been suffering from diabetes for the past 20 years. He is using Apidra (20 units in the morning and 14 units in the evening), Lantus (20 units in the morning) Insulin injections and Cyblex MV 40.2 mg twice a day. He regularly checks his blood sugar level using glucose monitor. It usually reads within 90 to 130 mg/dL, which is considered normal for a diabetic. Recently, he got his HbA1c test done in the laboratory and it showed 8.7%. He is worried whether there is a mistake in the monitor reading or in the laboratory report. I want to know whether the test is to be repeated in another laboratory. Or Should I consult his diabetologist for further investigations and treatment?

#

• The reading shown by the glucose monitor is the current value during the time of check, but HbA1c always denotes the control of sugar level over two to three months.
  • Hence, his HbA1c is abnormal (8.7%), that is, initially the sugar levels were quite high. As he took the right medicines, the blood sugar level has lowered.
  • I suggest Lantus Insulin injection (Insulin Glargine) that he is already using should be taken at night as it lowers more blood sugar. Consult your doctor, discuss with him/her and then take the medicines with consent.

For further information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

| 

Related Video

Why am I urinating more than 10 times a day?

Query: Hi doctor, I have to pee a lot of times a day though I do not have to wake up at night to go to the toilet. I have control over pressure, but I have to go more than 10 times a day. Also, I have to pass the stool after every meal. Why?  Read Full »

How to manage diabetes?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is suffering from diabetes. His blood sugar values are around 350-470 in the report. Earlier, he never had such a problem. Please provide some solution and help us to get it cured.  Read Full »

Should I take Insulin?

Query: Hi doctor,I am having high blood glucose. My fasting blood sugar is 153, postprandial is 175 and before dinner 152. My doctor advised Janumet 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Sulisent in the morning. Shall I take it? Presently, I am having Invokana 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Reclid...  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»

Ask a Diabetologist Now