Q. My father is a diabetic. What kind of fruits can he have?

Dr. Vandana Andrews
Published on Aug 04, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 23, 2019

My father is a diabetic. He likes to have fruits. But I am worried he is not supposed to eat some kind of fruits. Please advise regarding what kind of fruits he can have and those which he should not have.

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Internal Medicine
#

Fiber-rich foods are generally safe for diabetics to eat because they tend to have a lower glycemic index and therefore do not spike blood sugar levels to the same extent as high glycemic index foods. Fruits with high fiber content include passion fruit, orange, raspberries, apples, pears, apricots, blueberries, kiwifruit, strawberries, avocados, and raw papaya.

Quantity to be consumed:

1. Orange 100 g - 1 medium.
  2. Pear 90 mg - 1 medium.
  3. Apple 90 mg - 1 medium.
  4. Papaya 120 mg - 2 slices.
  5. Figs 100 g - 3 medium.
  6. Guava 100 g - 1 medium.
  7. Coconut water 200 ml -1 glass.

A person who is diabetic should make frequent changes in his menu, meaning your father should take a small quantity of these fruits in a day asevery 10 g equals to 40 calories. So, he should not take any fruit in too much quantity, because all fruits have sugar in them. But the ones which I have mentioned above have low sugar and high fiber.

For example, if he takes 1 medium orange a day, he can replace it with a pear the next day. So that each day he can have a different fruit.

| 

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Why do I feel bloated after I eat?

Query: Hello doctor, I have gas problem and bloating after I eat any normal size meal. I have struggled with constipation for years, but paid very close attention to that issue. Currently, it is not the problem. I have had colonoscopy and stool tests and they were fine. I did have colitis back due to use o...  Read Full »

Diabetes - Simple Ways to Control Blood Sugar Level

Article Overview: Diabetes is spreading very fast. This article will provide an overview about how people can control their blood sugar level after adopting a healthy lifestyle. Read Article

Dr. Alka
Diabetologist

Diabetes is affecting millions of lives these days. It is a metabolic disorder in which the blood sugar of the body is in a higher range than normal. These days it is spreading very fast due to unhealthy lifestyle of people and poor eating habits. The initial symptoms of diabetes include excessive t...  Read Article

Ask a General Practitioner Now