Q. My mother has breathing problems even after 20 days of testing COVID-positive. Why?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

My mother has a breathing issue, high CRP, and D-dimer. She was tested COVID-positive 20 days before. She also has a low SPO2 level. She is 61 years old and a sugar patient. She does not have any allergic reactions to medicines. She is comfortable eating and talking. Her fever has gone down for 12 days. She does not have throat pain. She is under the following medications:

1) Injection of Meropenem thrice daily.

2) Injection of Tragocid once daily.

3) Injection of Methylprednisolone 40 mg thrice daily.

4) Injection of Emeset twice daily.

5) Injection of Pantop twice daily.

6) Tablet Xarelto.

7) Tablet Vitamin-C.

8) Tablet Zinc.

9) Tablet Allegra M.

Improvement in external health, but still, she is facing breathing issues. Sugar level, BP, and pulse rate are normal. We have got her HRCT, blood test, and X-ray done. Please guide me.

#

COVID-19 causes lung damage which can cause breathlessness. Please have a chest X-ray done and send me her X-ray. After recovery of cough and fever, shortness of breath may take some time to settle. But if oxygen saturation drops below 90%, this is concerning. Regarding the cardiac point of view, send me her ECG (echocardiogram) and echocardiography if done so that I can guide you accordingly.

Her D-dimer is 12 mg/L. I want to know if there is a risk of heart disease on such a high level. I am attaching the X-ray for your reference. Please guide me.

#

D-dimer rises in case if there is blood clotting. COVID causes blood clots in small vessels of lungs and other organs thats why antiplatelets and anticoagulants are prescribed. These small clots will resolve in some time. If there is a massive clot in the lungs, heart, or brain, it causes life-threatening conditions. Send me her ECG. X-ray is very bad (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). It will take time to resolve. If oxygen saturation drops, oxygen support may be needed. I hope this was helpful.

|