Q. My uvula gets hurt only when I pretend to swallow. Why?

Dr. Prasun Mishra
Published on Nov 08, 2019

I am a 17-year-old female. The back of my uvula starts to hurt since yesterday. It hurts only when I pretend to swallow. But when I swallow water or food, it does not hurt. It hurts only on my left side. I have checked, and it was not swollen and looks normal. I tried touching it and scratched it. Also, when I yawn or open my mouth widely, the pain slowly goes away but after a while, it comes back. Are there any home remedies to cure it?

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Went through your symptoms, it would have been great if you could click a photograph and send as sometimes few minor changes go unnoticed.

However, I believe that the uvula is not swollen. In this case it appears as a case of an aphthous ulcer on the uvula. It may not present directly in the way of food so it does not hurt on eating, but dry swallowing leads to stretch and movement of that part and so it causes pain.

Remedies that I may suggest is:

1) Drink lots of water, just sips but frequently.

2) Avoid oily and spicy food for five days.

3) Take some multivitamin with zinc combination (zevit).

4) Start Mucaine gel 10 ml take it in the mouth and keep for 30 seconds and then swallow it. Do it three times a day.

5) Apply Amlexanox ointment all over the uvula twice a day.

6) Take some anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen 400 mg twice a day for two days.

I have difficulty in swallowing and a sore throat. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a fever for almost three days. The first day it was not a high temperature. I had difficulty swallowing and I had a sore throat. Today, the fever is 39.3 Celsius. I had tonsillitis three times before and I have been prescribed Co-amoxiclav, Dequadin, and Strepsils. Please help.  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. You are already on antibiotics. It would be better to get a throat swab done and a CBC (complete blood count). I suggest you change the antibiotic to Levofloxacin 500 mg once a day. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her ...  Read Full

Are white bumps under the tongue normal?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old female, and I have white bumps on the back of my tongue. I also have painful white sores on the sides of the tongue. I have been getting painful sores on the tip of my tongue quite frequently for the past two months. But this time, the pain was severe. I did get some re...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your complaint and also the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that you provided of the lesion. As far as your history of painful sores on tongue tip is concerned, there can be various reasons. Most common are vitamin B12 deficien...  Read Full

Do constant sore throats, extreme fatigue, and swollen neck indicate tonsil cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had sore throats on and off for a couple of years now. One of my tonsils is bigger than the other. I have not been feeling well lately. I get constant sore throats, extreme fatigue, headaches, swollen right side of the neck, some minor difficulty swallowing, a low-grade fever, and...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chronic tonsillitis is a recurrent infection of the tonsils. Tonsils are lymphoid tissue present in the throat. They act as drainage points of various structures in the throat. When they get infected, they cause pain, soreness, headache, fever, and malaise. Tonsil...  Read Full