Q. What would be the treatment for disc slip?

Dr. Chandan Mohanty
Published on May 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have been diagnosed with L5-S1 16 mm disc slip. I have tried Hydrocortisone injection eight days ago which has done nothing. I have been passed between GP and orthopedic surgeon and now I have to try physio. I have lower back pain that radiates to both legs and also have a lot of leg spasms when I just shake. What would be your course of treatment? I have had a fall eight months back. I am currently taking Sertraline, Metoprolol, Diazepam and Amitriptyline. Please help.

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

Sorry to hear this.

• It seems that the disc herniation in your back is responsible for your back and leg pain due to compression of the nerves in your lumbar spine (lower back).
  • If the pain is not responding to treatment then you may be a candidate for surgery.
  • Depending on your clinical examination and MRI report, surgery would involve removing the herniated disc known as discectomy and relieving the compression on the nerves.
  • You may or may not need a fusion procedure along with the discectomy depending on your MRI report.
  • Please see a spine surgeon (neuro surgeon or orthopedic surgeon) who will be able to clinically evaluate you, study the MRI in detail and then suggest the right treatment for you.

For further doubts consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

I have a great deal of pain due to L5-S1 disc hernia. How to get over it?

Query: Hello doctor,I suffer from an L5-S1 disc hernia, with pressure on the S1 root. I also have a partial tear in the right hip labrum. My surgeon is not sure which one is the cause of leg pain which starts at the low back and ends at the back of my feet. I suffer from a great deal of pain and would real...  Read Full »

Can Thumb Twitching Be A Sign Of Cervical Disc Herniation Worsening?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old female with asthma. I have cervical disc herniation for 10 years. Over the past 5 months, symptoms were back with tingling, weakness and shooting pain in arms. I tried medications like Celebrex, Lyrica and also massage, physiotherapy, chiropractor and acupuncture, b...  Read Full »

What does positive Hoffman's sign mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29 year old male. I was previously diagnosed with essential tremor, for which I have been taking Propanolol 160 mg for six years. My current symptoms are constant tingling, soreness, and restlessness of the legs. I get spasms in the legs as well as arms. My right eye goes blur...  Read Full »