Q. What would be the treatment for disc slip?

Dr. Chandan Mohanty
This is a premium question & answer published on May 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have been diagnosed with L5-S1 16 mm disc slip. I have tried Hydrocortisone injection eight days ago which has done nothing. I have been passed between GP and orthopedic surgeon and now I have to try physio. I have lower back pain that radiates to both legs and also have a lot of leg spasms when I just shake. What would be your course of treatment? I have had a fall eight months back. I am currently taking Sertraline, Metoprolol, Diazepam and Amitriptyline. Please help.

#

Sorry to hear this.

• It seems that the disc herniation in your back is responsible for your back and leg pain due to compression of the nerves in your lumbar spine (lower back).
  • If the pain is not responding to treatment then you may be a candidate for surgery.
  • Depending on your clinical examination and MRI report, surgery would involve removing the herniated disc known as discectomy and relieving the compression on the nerves.
  • You may or may not need a fusion procedure along with the discectomy depending on your MRI report.
  • Please see a spine surgeon (neuro surgeon or orthopedic surgeon) who will be able to clinically evaluate you, study the MRI in detail and then suggest the right treatment for you.

For further doubts consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|