Q. Lifting a heavy object caused a severe stabbing pain in my back. What could it be?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 17 year old female. Yesterday, I picked up a large heavy object. All of a sudden, I felt an excruciating pain in the center of my back. It almost felt like I was being stabbed in the back with several knives. The pain was so severe I could not get back to my feet. It took me almost five to 10 minutes to stand up after I took some Paracetamol, which had no effect. I then slept on it and woke up with a back pain score of 10/10. I cannot breathe well, I struggle to talk on some occasions and my left arm feels heavy and tingly. I then took a hot bath hoping to soothe the pain which also did not work. I have had a history of back pain and also a pins and needles sensation in the upper left side of my body. I have had numerous tests and MRI scans but, they showed nothing.

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

I read your query.

• Your symptoms are suggestive of a spine problem like disc prolapse, which might cause a compression of the spinal nerve, leading to a sharp stabbing pain.
  • I suggest you take tablet Gabarich (a combination of Gabapentin and Methylcobalamin) 150 mg once daily at night time. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with their consent.
  •  You can apply ice cubes when you feel a severe pain. It will help you.
  • Kindly attach the MRI reports if you have them with you.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|