Q. I experience dizzy spells and is better when I stop reading. Do I need medical attention?

Dr. Aida Quka
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 03, 2020

I have been experiencing dizzy spells for the past week or so. I feel this a couple of times in an hour. The strange thing is that, when they come, I feel it at the top of my head almost like a subtle spasm. But the symptoms remained even when I sleep, though it is usually better when I am not reading. There is close to cold-like pressure in my head, though there is no pressure around my nose. I have been feeling tired, cloudy, and I have been a little nauseous a few times throughout the week. Should I seek medical attention?

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

I read carefully your question and would explain that your symptoms could be suggestive of an inner ear disorder. For this reason, I would recommend consulting first with an ENT specialist for a physical exam and performing labyrinthine tests. I would also advise checking thyroid hormone levels for possible thyroid gland dysfunction.

Another issue to consider would be an eye disorder, considering the fact that your symptoms are triggered exacerbated by reading. For this reason, the next step to follow would be consulting with an ophthalmologist in case you may need to put glasses on. If all the above tests result normal, you should consider anxiety as the main cause of your complaints.

| 

Would you consider anything like a mini stroke or migraine being the culprit?

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

I would exclude any stroke or migraine as your symptoms do not fulfill the clinical criteria of migraine or stroke. So, just relax and do not worry about it. It seems to be a benign cause of thyroid gland dysfunction, eye problem, inner ear disorder, or just anxiety. A wrong posture or a bad pillow can also trigger this situation.

For this reason, I would recommend trying to correct your posture, avoid prolonged standing in front of the computer or smartphone.

|