HomeAnswersInternal Medicinedown syndromeCan pregnancy be terminated in the 28th week?

Can I terminate my pregnancy if result comes positive for Down's syndrome?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Published At January 16, 2016
Reviewed AtFebruary 1, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am in my late 6th month pregnancy. Recently I went for a scan named targeted imaging for fetal anomalies (TIFFA). All the reports were normal except hypoplastic nasal bone and higher normal values of amniotic fluid. I am approaching you for second consultation now. My questions are, what if we go for genetic amniocentesis and results were positive for Down's syndrome? Can I terminate the pregnancy in my 28th week of pregnancy? How much safe it is to go for amniocentesis test? Is there any alternate test to get better results? I decided not to have a baby who is mentally retarded. Please suggest me your valuable advice.


Welcome to icliniq.com. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns. We can better comment on the outcome after getting the results of the amniocentesis. Even if it is Down's syndrome, people usually go for keeping the fetus alive and they go for completion of pregnancy to the full term. You may terminate anytime depending on where you opt in for this termination. I mean you need to have expert hands for that. Amniocentesis is very widely done test all over the world and as for every diagnostic invasive procedure it has its own safety profile. Risk of complications is always there as it is associated with invasive procedure. Again I want to add that if you opt in for the expert hands and a seasoned professional obstetricians and gynecologists and interventional radiologist then there is no to low risk for the baby and the mother. Amniocentesis and karyotyping to rule out for genetic disorders that involve chromosomal anomalies is the best test universally. No other choice, as this is what we need to know next and this is the specific test available which may guide us about that. It is your right to decide and it is solely you who can decide about your body as to what is better for you. Physician can only guide you about the procedures and the final decision is solely your own as to what should be done.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif
Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Internal Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy