Q. I have pain in muscles and stomach problems. Does Gluformin XL 500 cause this?

Dr. Shanmugasundar. G
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I take Gluformin XL 500 every night after dinner. I feel pain in muscles and have some stomach problems. I am a sugar patient.

#

It would have been great if you had given me further information like your age, weight, HbA1c, creatinine level, and details about other medications. Anyway, it is well known that Metformin can cause gastric complications. You must also be suffering from the same. But Metformin is the safest and preferred oral hypoglycemic agent. So, I do not want you to stop the medication. Alternatively, you can try Metformin 250 mg twice a day or change to less gastric effect brands.

Muscle pains may be due to either uncontrolled blood glucose, electrolyte disturbances, vitamin D, or B12 deficiency. If your blood glucose level is controlled and you are not on any BP medications or cholesterol medications, it must be mostly due to Vitamin D deficiency. Also, Metformin itself can cause B12 deficiency. Hence I will advise you to take vitamin D and B12 supplementation, with which you will have relief. I hope this reply will help you. Thanks and regards.

|