Q. How effective is Metformin 1000 mg a day in controlling sugar levels?

Answered by Dr. Suneetha B S and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Metformin or Diabetes Medicine? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I had my glucose over 600 mg/dl for about a month. I went to the ER and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. They put me on Metformin 500 mg twice daily. I have been taking it for almost two weeks, and my fasting glucose levels are not going under 300 mg/dl. I do not have the doctor's appointment until next week. So, shall I continue with just 1000 mg of Metformin a day?