Q. My menstrual cycle becomes irregular recently and I get spotting. Is this early sign of pregnancy?

Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 23, 2020

I am 22 years old. I am trying to conceive for the second time. I have a 3-year-old son and it was a natural birth. I am not on any medication. My period was always regular and I get them every month. But about 3 months ago, my period days changed from the beginning of the month to the middle, when it was all messed up I was getting a period twice a month but that has stopped. About two days ago, I thought I was getting my period but I am lightly spotting it is a light red color it is not dark or anything it is more faint. When I am usually on my period I bleed a lot. I have been pregnant before and know the symptoms but would it be possible? I do not understand this light spotting, am I on my period? Do you think can I be pregnant? Or it can be my cycle changing?

Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

There are multiple reasons for not being able to conceive. First, it depends on the time for which you guys are trying. Only after a year of unprotected intercourse, we can start the evaluation. And that you have conceived once naturally means the mechanics are all correct.

I see that your BMI (body mass index) is high. That could be the reason for irregular periods. You must work on your weight and bring the BMI between 18 to 25.

If you are concerned about your cycles, you will be prescribed contraceptive pills. If you want to conceive they might start the evaluation depending on the policy.

| 

Does stress affect my menstrual bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I consulted with you the last time whether I can be pregnant as I had sex with my partner on the eighth day of my period and we used condoms as protection. You told that I would not get pregnant. Today I am on the fifth day of my period. On the first two days, the bleeding was no...  Read Full »

Does spotting after I-pill rule out pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife started her last menstrual cycle on the 22nd of the previous month. We had protected sex on the 27th of the previous month. Unfortunately, the condom ruptured but, I was able to pull it out a few seconds before ejaculating. Just to be safe, she took an I-pill seven hours after ...  Read Full »

Is spotting due to I-pill or early pregnancy symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor,I had unprotected sex five month back and took I-pill within 12 to 14 hours. I have done home tests on the sixth and ninth day which were negative. I had brown spotting on the 13th day and some spotting today as well. My last period was ten days before having sex. Is the spotting due to th...  Read Full »