Q. Kindly tell the management of dry lips with itchiness and redness.

Dr. Shanza Ikram
Published on Aug 22, 2019

I have been experiencing dry lips and around my mouth which is itchy and gets red. I have used all sorts of lip balm but nothing seems to be working. I drink lots of water throughout the day as well. This is getting me really worried now. Can you help, please?

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Dermatology
#

I have gone through your case. Immediately stop using all different types of lip balms and lipsticks. Apply 1 percent of Hydrocortisone ointment and apply two times a day for seven days. After that, apply only Petroleum jelly or Vaseline twice daily for the next seven days. Avoid spicy food. Maintain good oral hygiene. Avoid lip rubbing and if you are habitual of rubbing your tongue, then please avoid it as saliva also irritates the skin. Use only white-colored toothpaste.

Cross-reactivity between different cosmetics.

Many thanks for your reply. I will stop using all sorts of lip balm from now. Can I use Hydrocortisone cream instead of ointment?

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Dermatology
#

Yes, you can use the cream as well. But remember, the cream can itself produce little bit dryness. But my aim is to stop all the hypersensitivity process with Hydrocortisone either in cream or ointment form. Once it is stopped, then dryness could be sorted out with the help of petroleum jelly. The only additive benefit of ointment was that it could also help in lubricating.

What homeopathic treatment can be done for dark circles around eyes?

Query: Hello doctor,I have very stubborn dark circles around my eyes especially on the inner corners and my lips have turned dark too.  Read Full »

What is Daktacort cream used for?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had a fungal infection on my penis for a month or so now. I saw my GP and was prescribed Daktarin cream, and the symptoms decreased significantly. However, I recently run out, and I experienced dry skin again. I was prescribed Daktacort cream this time, however, it says not to be...  Read Full »

What can I possibly do to cure my constantly running nose?

Query: Hi doctor,I have had a constant runny and congested nose since three years. After years of trying anything possible and seeing several doctors, I was finally diagnosed with a severe dust allergy, as well as asthma by last year. At that time I was pregnant, so I could not be prescribed any medicatio...  Read Full »