Q. My T-zone is very dry and itchy. How to keep it hydrated?

Dr. Rashmi Singh
Published on May 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2019

The skin on my face is extremely dry. It becomes dry in patches, and I have to moisturize it 3 to 4 times to stop it from itching and hurting. It has always been a problem, but it has worsened over the last few months. The skin on my cheeks is quite red, and my T-zone is very dry. Any thoughts on what it could be? What methods could I use to keep it hydrated? My mother has mild psoriasis.

Dr. Rashmi Singh

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

1. Do you have very dry patches elsewhere too?
  2. Do you have dandruff?
  3. What products do you use on your face?
  4. Are the patches always there or appear in episodes?
  5. Are there any fixed sites on the face where you get these?
  • Please answer these questions so we can get a better approach to the case.

Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Thank you for replying. I get them on the top of my arms and across my chest. They get dry, red, sore, and itchy. Yes, I have dandruff. I am currently using a soft cleansing milk, Eucerin 10 %, and urea moisturizer or cocoa butter. They are always there, but the severity of them changes. Today, for example, my face is very sore, without even touching the skin, it feels tight and dry. My nose and cheeks are the worst areas, my forehead does not get red or sore, but it is very dry.

Dr. Rashmi Singh

#

• It is likely that you have atopic dermatitis, and this will require continuous care of the skin. I suggest you try doing the following.
  1. Take bleach baths twice a week by adding half a cup (118 ml) of bleach to 40 gallons (151 liters) of warm water. Use household bleach, not the concentrated bleach. Soak from the neck down or just the affected areas of skin for about ten minutes. Do not submerge the head. Rinse off and gently pat dry with a towel. Immediately apply moisturizer generously.
  2. Use mild cleansing lotion like Cetaphil or anything with Cetyl or Stearyl alcohol for the face. Apply a moisturizer like Cerave or Cetaphil on the body and Avene skin recovery cream or Bioderma Cicabio cream on the face immediately after taking bath.
  3. You can continue Urea 10 % at night, but only on the body. For face twice a week, you can use mild Glycolic acid 6 % cream for exfoliation. Keep it on for six hours.
  4. Apply a moisturizing sunscreen on a daily basis.
  5. If the skin is very sore, you can try using Cortisone for a couple of days to reduce soreness.
  • Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start using the medicines after their consent. Revert after a month for review.

Revert after a month to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Is my hair fall due to shampooing daily and dandruff?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had a dandruff problem for very long. So, I started shampooing my hair every day. Even then skipping even a single day of shampooing leaves my hair full of dirt and makes it completely oily. And an itchy scalp is always there no matter what I do. I have started losing a lot of ha...  Read Full »

I need your suggestions on which sunscreen to use.

Query: Hi doctor, I am in a little trouble. Summer has started where I live, and I am addicted to playing cricket, whatever the weather or climate be. From last two weeks, I have noticed that my face color has become darker due to the sun. So, I am a little confused about which sunblock cream to use. I ne...  Read Full »

I have oily dandruff and dry hairs with hair fall. How can I be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I have oily dandruff and dry hairs and hair fall. So what should I do if I wash hairs every day so they will become more dry and thin too?  Read Full »