Q. Can the mild pain I experience after tooth extraction indicate a dry socket?

Dr. Alfiya K Jamal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 08, 2022 and last reviewed on: Jul 12, 2022

I had my furthest back molar on my bottom left side removed two days back, and on the following day, the clot had gone, and I booked an appointment to get it seen. I informed the doctor I had pain in the area, but I did not have any acute pain. I just wanted to get it sorted out because I have huge anxiety in general, especially when it comes to health, so he packed it with some eugenol paste that day. It is currently three days after the appointment, and the filling has come loose and moves when I lift my tongue. Did I have a dry socket in the first place, and if not, can I get it now? I have had no pain apart from one day after the extraction, which was insignificant and lasted for two minutes. Kindly advise.

#

Usually, after the extraction of a wisdom tooth, swelling, pain, and difficulty in opening the mouth are common. Healing depends upon the extraction procedure too, so if you are a smoker or have any habits, it can alter the healing process. Any activities like pulling with the tongue or forceful spitting can also cause dislodgement of the clot; hence healing is affected. So if a eugenol pack is placed and induces bleeding, it will reduce your symptoms and promote healing. I think you do not need to worry about dry socket as your pain has decreased. In a dry socket, unbearable pain would be there, and bone also may be exposed. So you do not need to worry. Stay calm and relaxed because that is also necessary. Clean the area with saline rinses after each meal. Maintain oral hygiene. Please follow up after three days with your dentist and update me about the symptoms after two days.

|