Q. Why is there pain in the tooth socket even after six days of extraction?

Dr. Naseer Bhat

I had simple extraction of my second bottom tooth. It is day six today since I have removed. I was feeling major pain a few days ago but it is fading away day by day. I actually feel no pain in the morning but in the afternoon I feel discomfort. When can all this go away? I was expecting to be healed already. My dentist told me that I will be fine in three days and gave me only painkillers. No antibiotics.

Do you have a question on Dry Socket or Tooth Extraction?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Naseer Bhat

BDS
Dentistry

Yes, you should have been fine till now as advised by your dentist but that was when everything post-extraction would have been fine. Unfortunately, in your case, you have got dislodgement of the blood clot after the exaction was done and this condition is called as dry socket. The pain gets aggravated third day after extraction and subsides with time but the foul smell or bad breath remains there. Are you experiencing bad breath? Kindly reply to this question. I will be waiting.

Treatment is to get debridement done at a clinic and get a pack of Zinc-oxide Eugenol packet in the socket place. That is it. Change the dressings regularly it will get healed within 3 to 4 days. No need to worry.

Dry socket.

ZEO pack.

Do not smoke or take long sips. Avoid solid food for 24 hours post operative.

I have pain and bleeding after molar tooth extraction. Please advise.
Query: Hello doctor, Is it normal for a dentist to not prescribe anything for pain after having a broken molar extracted, and three roots pulled out? My tooth was extracted yesterday, still bleeding heavily. I had fever through the day.  Read Full »
Dr. Sreekesh Menon
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most dentists will offer pain medications if the procedure can reasonably be expected to cause pain that cannot be managed by OTC medication. In your case, I wonder why he has not prescribed any because extracting a third molar root can be a little difficult and the pa...  Read Full »

How can we stop excessive bleeding from tooth extraction site?
Query: Hi doctor, It has been eight hours now. I have extracted three teeth at the same time. There is excessive bleeding from the extracted site. Is this deadly?  Read Full »
Dr. Purva Jingar
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Drink a lot of water and follow the medication prescribed by the dentist. You can use ice in the extracted site to stop the bleeding. If it still continues to bleed, consult your dentist. If it stops, then from the next day, rinse mouth with salt water and turmeric mixt...  Read Full »

Is vitamin E a good solution for polymorphous light eruptions?
Query: Hello doctor, I have self-diagnosed myself with polymorphous light eruptions, and I know that sounds annoying to someone who has dedicated their entire career to skin care. But every time I am at the beach in extreme sunlight, around day 2 or 3, I start developing a bumpy and itchy rash. After much ...  Read Full »
Dr. Suvina Attavar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Vitamin E is a potent free radical scavenger and antioxidant. Free radicals are reduced oxygen elements, which are responsible for skin damage and photoaging. Vitamin E protects the skin from effects of acute and chronic sun exposure. However, vitamin E alone is not eff...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now