Q. Why is there pain in the tooth socket even after six days of extraction?

Dr. Naseer Bhat

I had simple extraction of my second bottom tooth. It is day six today since I have removed. I was feeling major pain a few days ago but it is fading away day by day. I actually feel no pain in the morning but in the afternoon I feel discomfort. When can all this go away? I was expecting to be healed already. My dentist told me that I will be fine in three days and gave me only painkillers. No antibiotics.

#

Yes, you should have been fine till now as advised by your dentist but that was when everything post-extraction would have been fine. Unfortunately, in your case, you have got dislodgement of the blood clot after the exaction was done and this condition is called as dry socket. The pain gets aggravated third day after extraction and subsides with time but the foul smell or bad breath remains there. Are you experiencing bad breath? Kindly reply to this question. I will be waiting.

Treatment is to get debridement done at a clinic and get a pack of Zinc-oxide Eugenol packet in the socket place. That is it. Change the dressings regularly it will get healed within 3 to 4 days. No need to worry.

Dry socket.

ZEO pack.

Do not smoke or take long sips. Avoid solid food for 24 hours post operative.

|