Q. I have a very dry throat which makes it difficult even to breathe. Kindly help me.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

My throat is so dry, and it is very painful to swallow. I saw an ENT, and he looked and said my voice box was incredibly dry. But there is nothing he can do. This has been going on for days now. Probably a week or two. I have been on several antibiotics. And I just stopped today, in case this is the cause. I cannot sleep as it is so painful even to breathe. Please help me.

#

Please give me a few minutes to answer your query.

Please take your time, doctor.

#

There could be an entity of gastroesophageal reflux with laryngopharyngeal reflux, which could be why you have dryness in the throat. Please get back if you have further queries.

It is so painful that I cannot sleep. So what do I do about it? Could it be a yeast infection? Kindly give your opinion.

#

It is very unlikely to be a yeast infection. I hope this was helpful.

What can I do? It is so bad to swallow and even breathe. Would a vaporizer in my room help? I am drinking tons of water, and there is still no improvement. It is consistently dry than ever. Kindly help me.

#

First, let me explain what exactly could be happening. The most common reason for having this irritation in the throat with a feeling of a lump or something obstructing while swallowing saliva can be a feature of chronic silent GERD with LPR (gastroesophageal reflux with laryngopharyngeal reflux). Even though you might be asymptomatic or never had gastric issues in between, the inflammation in the throat often exists in the hidden form and can resurface when adequate care is not taken.

Why does hidden acid reflux become so problematic? As you know, the stomach usually has got cells that release hydrochloric acid and thus keep the gastric environment acidic in nature. Your entire mucosal lining from the mouth, throat, and food pipe (esophagus) is not meant to handle anything acidic. Of the three structures, the throat is the most sensitive due to its rich nerve supply. If in a given situation, your mouth, throat, or food pipe chronically comes in contact with acidic contents, an inflammation starts which the body initially takes care of, but once this compensation wears out, you start developing symptoms that you have mentioned.

Please try to follow the advice mentioned below:

1) Maintain a strict diet, eating on time.

2) Avoid spicy, oily, and cold food or drinks.

3) Keep a gap of two hours between meals and going to bed.

4) Do not overeat. Instead, keep your stomach half empty and have regular intermittent light food like fresh-cut fruits in between major meals.

5) Saltwater gargling eight to ten times a day for 15 days.

6) Avoid alcohol and smoking as they can potentiate reflux.

7) Try to maintain a left lateral position while sleeping to reduce the chance of reflux.

Treatment plan is as follows:

1) Tablet Pan D 40 mg (Pantoprazole and Domperidone) or equivalent, once in the morning before breakfast for one month.

2) Syrup Mucaine gel (Aluminium hydroxide, Magnesium hydroxide, and Oxetacaine) or equivalent, one teaspoon three times a day 20 minutes before meals for one month.

The feeling of obstruction may or may not be there in all patients. I hope this was helpful.

|