Q. Do small pinkish bumps on the ear indicate a cyst or pimple?

Dr. Sushil Kakkar

I noticed a small pinkish bump on my ear tragus with no associated pain. What is it, and is it dangerous? Not sure how long it has been there. I just noticed it two or three days ago.

#

I can understand your concern. I can see a little red and swollen area (attachment removed to protect the patient’s identity). Most likely, it is a low-grade skin infection. I suggest you use a topical antibiotic like either Mupirocin ointment or Neosporin ointment twice daily.

Thank you for the response. Is it a cyst or pimple? Could a lymph node seem too close to the tragus? It is a slightly reddish-pink bump, mostly over the tragus.

#

It could be a small cyst that has become infected. It does not seem like a lymph node. If a lymph node drains, an infected focus overlying skin is usually of normal skin color. You can take a course of an oral antibiotic, for example, either Amoxicillin or Cephalexin, for a week. In addition, I suggest you use a topical antibiotic like Mupirocin ointment or Neosporin ointment twice daily for a few days. Take care.

|