Q. Kindly interpret my CT scan report for perforated ear.

Dr. Vinay. S. Bhat

I am a 40-year-old male. I have perforated right ear for the past 20 years and get discharges on various occasions and treated every time. But I have no discharges for the last three years. As a routine checkup, I am asked for a CT scan and the findings are as follows:

1) Right -sided mastoid air cells are partially sclerosed with reduction pneumatization, however, no collection is seen at present in mastoid air cell or middle ear cavity.

2) Right maxillary small retention cyst.

3) Mild DNS with nasal septal spur.

I have no problem in the ear except a tension (pull) in nerves (veins) around the right ear while moving my head to and fro.

I am currently taking antibiotics and Montelukast.

My lab report shows WBC 9600 / cu mm, Neutrophils 74%, lymphocytes 18%, monocytes 01%, eosinophils 07%, basophils 00%, ESR first hour 06 mm.

#

You have right-sided chronic otitis media which is a common type of chronic middle ear infection. It is common to have recurrent ear discharge in this condition because of the perforated eardrum. Since your ear is dry for three years you need not worry much.

As far as CT (computed tomography) findings are concerned,

1. Sclerosis of the mastoid is common in patients with perforation of eardrum with earlier infections. It is absolutely normal in you to have these findings, there is nothing to worry about.

2. Maxillary retention cyst is a common incidental finding in routine CT scan and not a problem to worry about if you do not have nose related problems.

3. DNS with spur if asymptomatic (like nose block) is also a common incidental finding and can be present in many normal individuals. So your CT scan report can be considered normal for all practical purposes.

|