iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersInternal Medicineear painWhat can cause head and ear pain on the same side for a month?

What is the treatment for earache and headache?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Published At April 11, 2020
Reviewed AtApril 18, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I have earache and headache on the same side. I have pain while washing my face near my ears for a month.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern. You are having headaches and earaches on the same side. You have more pain while washing your face. Please mention the nature of your pain whether it seems like an electric shock or it comes and goes or dull in nature. This type of pain can occur due to inflammation in the ears or trigeminal neuralgia. If it is associated with sensitivity to light and sound, then it can occur due to migraine. Sometimes, ear wax can get hard and it blocks the ear canal causing discomfort, itching, and earache. I suggest you take some anti-inflammatory medications to have some relief. You can take tablet Paracetamol or Ibuprofen after food. If there is no relief, you need to evaluate trigeminal neuralgia depending on your symptoms. If it is trigeminal neuralgia, you can take Pregabalin 75 mg or Carbamazepine 100 mg at night time. After that, continue taking it three times a day. Both these medications can cause some side effects like dizziness and allergic rashes. Try to take them under the guidance of the doctor.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

default Img
Dr. Thakre Mahendra Shivram

General Medicine

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Internal Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy