Q. I have hard crusty stuff around the ear canal with clear discharge. What could it be?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

I have this hard crusty stuff around the perimeter of my ear canal. It itches and if I scratch it will come off but it sometimes causes clear fluid to drain out of my ear. It also dissolves if I get water in my ear. I am currently on Amoxicillin for a tooth infection.

#

Probably you have a subclinical otitis externa. In this condition there will be a very subtle infection in the ear canal which leads to an intense amount of itching. With the use of earbuds the raw area gets exposed and flares up the irritation even more. Impacted wax can also be a source of the irritation in the ear. This is often associated with fullness and pain.

You can follow the advice mentioned below.

1. Please stop using earbuds henceforth.

2. Tablet Levocetirizine 10 mg one tablet at night for the next 10 days.

3. Wax dissolvent ear drops 3 drops three times a day for the next five days.

4. Keep the ear dry, please wear a shower cap while bathing.

5. The scab will dry and fall off on its own, so there is no need to keep touching it.

6. You can continue Amox antibiotic as it has nothing to do with the current problem.

If there is anything more you want to know, please do inform me.

| 
1 out of 1 likes