Q. I have hard crusty stuff around the ear canal with clear discharge. What could it be?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

I have this hard crusty stuff around the perimeter of my ear canal. It itches and if I scratch it will come off but it sometimes causes clear fluid to drain out of my ear. It also dissolves if I get water in my ear. I am currently on Amoxicillin for a tooth infection.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Probably you have a subclinical otitis externa. In this condition there will be a very subtle infection in the ear canal which leads to an intense amount of itching. With the use of earbuds the raw area gets exposed and flares up the irritation even more. Impacted wax can also be a source of the irritation in the ear. This is often associated with fullness and pain.

You can follow the advice mentioned below.

1. Please stop using earbuds henceforth.

2. Tablet Levocetirizine 10 mg one tablet at night for the next 10 days.

3. Wax dissolvent ear drops 3 drops three times a day for the next five days.

4. Keep the ear dry, please wear a shower cap while bathing.

5. The scab will dry and fall off on its own, so there is no need to keep touching it.

6. You can continue Amox antibiotic as it has nothing to do with the current problem.

If there is anything more you want to know, please do inform me.

| 
1 out of 1 likes

Why am I having cold draining nose and body pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a cold draining nose and body pain. Please help.  Read Full »

Why the ear pain increased after using prescribed ear drops?

Query: Hello doctor,A few months back, I had ear pain and according to the doctor, I had a fungal infection and got my ear cleansed and prescribed some drops for my ear to be used. As I used those ear drops my ear pain got increased and it turned into a very severe pain that I start feeling that some fluid...  Read Full »

Homeopathic Management of Acute Otitis Media

Article Overview: Acute otitis media (AOM) is a condition, which is frequently encountered in children under 5 years and one of the most troublesome disease. This article discusses the causes, incidence, risk factors, symptoms, prevention of the disease and role of homeopathy in combating the disease. Read Article

Dr. Ashish Kumar Dixit
Homeopathic Physician

Acute otitis media (AOM) is the presence of inflammation in the middle ear accompanied by the rapid onset of signs and symptoms of an ear infection. Causes: Frequently it occurs in infants and children. The most common causative organisms are Streptococcus pneumonia, Hemophilus influenza, Mor...  Read Article