Q. I have pain and irritation in my ears. Is this infection?

Dr. Syed Tehmid

I am a 30-year-old female. Pain in my ear with irritation as if some infections happen in ear. I am on no medications.

#

What do you mean by irritation? Is it an itch? Did you have any cold, running nose? Do you feel any ear blockade? How is your hearing?

My left ear has a little pain, little itching feeling uncanny sensation. This is from my left ear extending up to chin, feeling some slight pain in my left ear while chewing foods.

#

Well, can you tell me if moving your pinna or pressing tragus caused any pain? Is your hearing normal? Is there any ear blockade? Are your teeth normal? Do you have any tooth with caries? It may be simple wax or infection of the external ear causing your pain?

No pain in pinna or tragus but a very little pain and sensation and little itching on the inner portion of my left ear and an entire left portion from below the ear to chin, no pain but the little sensation on my left portion of teeth.

#

It is most likely to be due to otitis externa. You should use topical ear drops like Candibiotic ear drops or Otic or Otiset ear drops or any combination of Beclomethasone, Clotrimazole, and Lignocaine ear drops. Also, use analgesics like Zerodol SP (Acelecofenac and Serriatiopeptidase) if it hurts too much. Avoid water entry into the ear. Keep ear dry. Try doing hot fomentation of the ear.

|