Q. What are the best steps to aid healing of ear perforation?

Published on May 14, 2016

I have a perforated right ear for more than two years. I do not want surgery. Also antibiotics did not work. What are the best steps to be taken?

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• An ear perforation (ruptured eardrum) can be safe or unsafe. An unsafe perforation has to be operated otherwise life is in danger.
  • A safe perforation can be left unoperated and yet tried to achieve closure.
  • If small perforation then body can heal it and close it if free of infection, body immunity and healing good.
  • Chemical cauterization of edges of perforation can help accelerate healing process and closure of perforation.
  • Steps to aid in healing and closure of perforation:
  1. Should avoid entry of water into ear and no instrumentation.
  2. Should not get any upper respiratory tract infections.
  3. Should maintain good hygiene and medical care when disease occurs.
  4. Follow good habits and healthy lifestyle.
  • If you are fine with not healing of perforation then you can take above precautions, but you may suffer from hearing loss and tinnitus.
  • Also inadequate care can cause worsening of disease and progression to unsafe disease.
  • Hence decision is yours. Make sure your disease is safe. If you decide to not have surgery then take all the precautions.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Will there be hearing loss on using noise cancellation headphones 10 hours a day?

Query: Hello doctor, For my work which needs concentration, I need a noise cancellation headphone which filters out sounds. Is there any chance of hearing loss or impairment with use for 10 to 12 hours a day?  Read Full »

Keeping Your Teeth Clean !!!

Article Overview: Brushing your teeth twice daily helps to remove the plaque and food particles between the teeth and helps to maintain optimal oral health. Read Article

Brush your teeth twice a day using a fluoride tooth paste. Replace your toothbrush every three or four months or sooner if the bristles are frayed.  A worn toothbrush won't do a good job of cleaning your teeth.  Clean between teeth daily with floss or an interdentally cleaner. Decay -...  Read Article

My tinnitus has worsened. What is my chance of recovery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion. I got tinnitus from loud noise three weeks ago. Most of the time the noise is constant 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yesterday morning I experienced my best day as the noise seemed to reduce to a 2. However, it went back up to a 3 and 4 again yesterd...  Read Full »