Q. What are the best steps to aid healing of ear perforation?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N
This is a premium question & answer published on May 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 27, 2020

I have a perforated right ear for more than two years. I do not want surgery. Also antibiotics did not work. What are the best steps to be taken?

#

• An ear perforation (ruptured eardrum) can be safe or unsafe. An unsafe perforation has to be operated otherwise life is in danger.
  • A safe perforation can be left unoperated and yet tried to achieve closure.
  • If small perforation then body can heal it and close it if free of infection, body immunity and healing good.
  • Chemical cauterization of edges of perforation can help accelerate healing process and closure of perforation.
  • Steps to aid in healing and closure of perforation:
  1. Should avoid entry of water into ear and no instrumentation.
  2. Should not get any upper respiratory tract infections.
  3. Should maintain good hygiene and medical care when disease occurs.
  4. Follow good habits and healthy lifestyle.
  • If you are fine with not healing of perforation then you can take above precautions, but you may suffer from hearing loss and tinnitus.
  • Also inadequate care can cause worsening of disease and progression to unsafe disease.
  • Hence decision is yours. Make sure your disease is safe. If you decide to not have surgery then take all the precautions.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|