Q. Why do I have red spots on skin that itches and spreads?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

I am 32 years old. I have got some red spots on my skin especially on legs, where I wear socks and also one spot on my left hand. After long time, I recently started jogging. I am new to the place where I am now. I had encountered sock allergy earlier also, but got relieved after using some cream. I do not remember them. Now, this is itching and spreading slightly. Can you kindly check the photos and advise accordingly? How to get them healed? Can I continue jogging?

#

I have reviewed your photographs (attachments removed to protect patient identity).

You are having eczema.

I would recommend you to apply Clobetasol propionate cream on the affected areas twice daily and take tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg twice daily. Continue this for two weeks and revert back.

Endogenous due to internal sensitivity of the individual.

Eczema.

1. Avoid using soap and avoid wearing synthetic socks.
2. Wear cotton socks. Go for regular oiling.

Revert back after two weeks to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Hi doctor.

Why does it happen? How can I prevent this in future? Should I take the tablets after food? Can I continue wearing shoes? I need to go office. I did not have this itching problem before coming to this place. Please help.

#

• It has no specific cause in many cases. But in few, it can be due to application or use of anything new. It can also be due to change in weather conditions.
  • To prevent this condition, keep your body moisturized. Avoid applying chemicals and soaps. Use lukewarm or cold water for bathing and wear cotton clothes.
  • Take the tablet after meals. Yes, you can continue wearing shoes.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have applied Clobetasol propionate cream as told and took Levocetirizine 5 mg. After that, itching reduced a little. Today, I took one Levocetirizine after food, wore socks and went to office. Afternoon, I felt very sleepy and redness also increased. I have attached photos for your reference. Is it normal? Can something be done for sleepiness? Please help.

#

I have reviewed the attached photographs (attachments removed to protect patient identity).

• Redness has definitely increased. But, it will take some time for the medicine to act and it is totally normal. Continue with Clobetasol propionate cream.
  • Also, wear cotton socks and avoid shoes and socks when not at work place.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|