Q. What is the cause for increased bilirubin level?

Dr. C Elanchezhian
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 30, 2019

I am a 50-year-old male, slim, and quite health conscious. Today I had a package blood test done. Other things are fine but in LFT total bilirubin is 1.47, direct bilirubin is .22, and indirect bilirubin is 1.25. SGPT and SGOT are normal. All other parameters are normal. I do not have any problem right now.

Two months back I had some food on a train which led to vomiting and diarrhea for one day. After ten days, I had abdominal pain for two-three days. Then acidity in the stomach here and there for some days. It all lasted for about two months, during which I lost two to three kg of weight also. But now my appetite is perfect, and I have resumed my regular exercise. Stamina is also fine. I had a cough and cold for a few days, which is ok now. Please guide me on what could be the cause for these elevated levels of bilirubin. I suffered from viral hepatitis when I was about 25 years old.

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

You do not have any complaints.

1. Total bilirubin 1.4

2. Direct bilirubin 0.22.

3. Indirect bilirubin 1.25.

Only total bilirubin is slightly elevated. For some people, if no complaints, this mild increase common need not worry.

I was worried about having some infection in my liver. Is it fine to take cod liver fish oil capsules? I am taking one sea cod brand capsule every day from the last three months. And is it fine to go for the hepatitis B vaccine?

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

As per your previous history, you had viral hepatitis 25 years back. You must have immunity for hepatitis. But we do not know what type of virus A, B or C. No harm in taking hepatitis B vaccination you can take. Cod liver oil is good can take.

We are not sure about my friend's diagnosis. Kindly help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a general practitioner. I would like to consult with you regarding my friend, who has a normochromic normocytic anemia. His hemoglobin is currently 7.5. His diagnosis is not clear. I have all his laboratory data and bone marrow biopsy as well as aspiration if you want. He used to tak...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. One thing for sure is that he is having periodic hemolysis with adequate bone marrow response and he has a severe vitamin B12 deficiency. His corrected RPI (reticulocyte production index) is 2.7%, which means that his bone marrow is responding to the anemia appropriat...  Read Full

I have high SGOT, SGPT, cholesterol and triglycerides levels. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,My blood test show SGOT and SGPT 100 and 239, respectively. Cholesterol level is 314 and triglycerides is 209. Kindly suggest which specialist doctor I should consult for both.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your concern is regarding which doctor to consult. So you can consult a physician or gastroenterologist for examination and management. I would like to give you some information regarding your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You can have met...  Read Full