Q. I got periods on the same day of taking an emergency contraceptive pill. Am I pregnant?

Dr. Garima Sawhney
This is a premium question & answer published on May 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2021

I took an emergency contraceptive pill after seven hours of unprotected sex. And I got my periods the same day of taking the pill. But, my period lasted only for a day. Am I pregnant?

#

• If your periods usually last for more than a day, then you should get a pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy. Or else, I suggest you start taking oral contraceptive pills.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I took the emergency pill and took a pregnancy test that day, which was negative. Is it possible that the emergency contraceptive pill made my period so short? Can I consider it as my period? 

#

• The short one day bleeding might be because of the consumption of the pill if it was not the expected date of your periods.
  • Secondly, if you do not get your periods on time, that is after a month of your normal period, then, in that case, you should definitely rule out pregnancy by doing serum beta hCG, which is a blood test and is more confirmatory.
  • A home pregnancy test will only be effective after 15 days of intercourse or missed period. The emergency pill gives 90 % protection against pregnancy.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

But I took the pill at the same day of getting my periods. And my period was also due at that time. I am worried because it lasted only for a day. Do you think I am pregnant?

#

• If that was the expected date of your cycle then, in that case, you were in the safe period of your cycle. The chances of pregnancy are very less. And you even took the pill, so the chance goes more down.

|