Q. I took an I-pill and now experience vaginal bleeding. Is this a usual side effect of I-pill?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 19, 2020

I took an I-pill eight days back (within 72 hours of unprotected sex), but since yesterday I have been experiencing vaginal bleeding, which is slightly on the heavier side though not as much as my regular menses. There is ten days more for my expected period date, which is why I am concerned. Is this an average side effect of I-pill? Can I do anything to stop it?

#

It could be a withdrawal bleeding following the emergency contraceptive pill used. A disturbing pattern of bleeding is expected after hormonal withdrawal pills. Here is your case; it is mostly because of the hormonal effect of the emergency contraceptive pill that has led to this disturbing bleeding pattern.

Just check your urine pregnancy test tomorrow morning with first urine sample, if negative rest assured.

Take tablet (Tranexamic or Mefenamic acid) or Pause MF (Tranexamic or Mefenamic acid) thrice daily during heavy flow (can stop once flow is normal).

To follow more traditional and confirmative contraceptive methods (example, condoms, oral contraceptives pills, etc.) for the future as repeated emergency contraceptive pill can disturb your menstrual cycle pattern.

Please maintain menstrual diary.

|