Q. Why am I not able to leave the relationship with my partner?

Dr. Vandana Patidar

I am 20 years old and I am in a relationship which is draining me emotionally, physically and mentally. But I am still giving it chances because the guy I am with probably loves me a lot, cries at the thought of leaving me and is loyal to me. I cannot decide. I cannot just leave. I am stuck in a vicious circle. He controls me, he does not trust me even if I do not lie or do anything. He thinks I am making a fool of him and doing other things and being disloyal even though I am not. I give explanations every time and he does not believe. Every time I have to answer his investigations. I feel like I am controlled. I cannot wear what I want to. I can not go wherever I want to because he does not trust me even though I am doing nothing wrong or nothing to break his trust. I do not know what is keeping me from leaving. I have been with him for the past six years and I love him but I do not feel the happiness anymore. Maybe I cannot let go because of the fear of leaving or the love or the idea of not being with him. I need help.

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sleep Medicine
#

I can understand what you are going through right now. People are difficult to understand at times. Currently, I think you are being psychologically or emotionally abused. The guy controls your life, your freedom, your decisions on everything, hurts you, blame you unnecessary (being dishonest) still claim to love you. This is exactly what happens when one is psychologically abused. To stop this, you need to take some bold decisions, do not show your dependency on him, pretend as if you do not care about him being hurt, take your own decisions, take strict actions when he blames about your infidelity. Your self-respect is the most important thing. Further, if you need any help we can discuss the matter.

| 

How to cope with breakup after long term relationship?

Query: Hi doctor, One year ago, I had a serious breakup with my girlfriend. It was a relationship of five years. Even today, I am not able to forget her. I keep thinking about her. I am not able to concentrate on anything. I feel lonely. What do I do?  Read Full »

Stress

Article Overview: Stress is the body’s normal response to any stimuli. It is the feeling of emotional or physical tension. Everybody gets stressed at some point in their life, which is rational and also helpful to perform under pressure. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

What Is Stress? Stress is the body’s normal response to any stimuli. It is the feeling of emotional or physical tension. Everybody gets stressed at some point in their life, which is rational and also helpful to perform under pressure. But, prolonged periods of stress is not good and might ha...  Read Article

How can I fix my marital issues with high conflict spouse?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having marital issues. I have a lot of anger and do not react well to my wife with very little patience. She is high conflict. I struggle because many things become bigger issues than they should be and emotional abuse occurs followed by verbal abuse. She will deny things she does ...  Read Full »