Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Why am I not able to leave the relationship with my partner?

Answered by
Dr. Vandana Patidar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 23, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am 20 years old and I am in a relationship which is draining me emotionally, physically and mentally. But I am still giving it chances because the guy I am with probably loves me a lot, cries at the thought of leaving me and is loyal to me. I cannot decide. I cannot just leave. I am stuck in a vicious circle. He controls me, he does not trust me even if I do not lie or do anything. He thinks I am making a fool of him and doing other things and being disloyal even though I am not. I give explanations every time and he does not believe. Every time I have to answer his investigations. I feel like I am controlled. I cannot wear what I want to. I can not go wherever I want to because he does not trust me even though I am doing nothing wrong or nothing to break his trust. I do not know what is keeping me from leaving. I have been with him for the past six years and I love him but I do not feel the happiness anymore. Maybe I cannot let go because of the fear of leaving or the love or the idea of not being with him. I need help.



Welcome to

I can understand what you are going through right now. People are difficult to understand at times. Currently, I think you are being psychologically or emotionally abused. The guy controls your life, your freedom, your decisions on everything, hurts you, blame you unnecessary (being dishonest) still claim to love you. This is exactly what happens when one is psychologically abused. To stop this, you need to take some bold decisions, do not show your dependency on him, pretend as if you do not care about him being hurt, take your own decisions, take strict actions when he blames about your infidelity. Your self-respect is the most important thing. Further, if you need any help we can discuss the matter.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I am stressed with my inability and erection problem. Please help.

.. be considered as selective anoragasmia. Here the more important part that only with your wife you do not have feelings for intimation during intercourse or difficulty in sustaining erections, while you have good erections while watching porn and ...   Read full

My past ugly experiences are pulling me back. Is there a remedy?

.. to have mild depression and mood swings. You need relationship counseling and career counseling to get out of your confusions. Past failures are only a lesson. Learn the lesson and move on. Past failures do not predict your future. Be it your pa...   Read full

My husband abuses me both physically and mentally. What is happening to him?

.. may have depression or anger outburst problem. If your husband is abusing any substance like alcohol or cannabis, it can also cause the above issues. Your husband needs face to face psychiatrist consultation. His symptoms can be controlled with me...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines in India
Two vaccines, Covishield and Covaxin, have been granted emergency use authorization in India. Read about these vaccines'...  Read more»
Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.