Q. What should we do when a person is mentally unstable due to some past event?

Answered by
Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hema

Hi doctor,

What should we do when a person is mentally unstable because of something that happened in the past? How can he get over it?

Do you have a question on Emotional Instability or Psychological Counselling?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Your post does not have many details, but I presume that you are seeking advice for someone who has been emotionally disturbed by some past traumatic event.

Usually, people recover from emotional trauma with support and passage of time. It depends on the severity of symptoms and the trauma involved. Family and friends should offer the patient psychosocial support.

Support the person to look after themselves and provide a listening ear whenever needed. Try to distract them from pensive thoughts by joining in music, movies, plays, etc. Encourage them to go exercise regularly. Patience and perseverance are needed in helping them to recover.

If the person continues to be mentally unstable despite family support, you can consult a doctor for further assessment of mental health and support accordingly. Take care.

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

How to cope when a sibling is seriously ill?
Query: Hi doctor, I have a brother who is sick since a month. I am feeling very helpless without him and I am deprived of sleep. I keep thinking about him the whole day. How can I overcome this situation?  Read Full >>
Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The pain of near ones makes you feel helpless. This weakens your strength somehow. Symptoms like lack of sleep, disturbance, and tension occur when you feel stressed for any reason. But you have to be strong for your brother. If you feel low, he will become worse and ...  Read Full

How to correct bedwetting of a 9 year old?
Query: Hi doctor, My child, who is 9 years old, has¬†bedwetting problem. Please suggest me.  Read Full >>
Dr. Nageswara Rao

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1 out of 65 children, wet the bed regularly at 9 years of age. Occasionally, bedwetting can be triggered by emotional distress, such as being bullied or moving to a new school.¬†Reassuring your child that everything is fine is also important. Do not tell them off or punis...  Read Full

I am ready to help a sex chat agent by giving her some money. Is it right?
Query: Hi doctor, I am having severe mental problems and I cannot concentrate on anything. I am a civil engineer and working in a private firm. I am married and have one child. I am unable to take my wife with me because of financial issues. My wife got pregnant last year and since then I have stayed alone...  Read Full >>
Dr. K V Anand

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your mental turmoil. I can see that you are deep in trouble. You should understand the problem yourself. You are staying away from your wife and possibly a father now. You approached several sex workers, but did not get mental satisfaction. You were worri...  Read Full



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Doctor Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.