Q. What should we do when a person is mentally unstable due to some past event?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
Published on Sep 08, 2019

What should we do when a person is mentally unstable because of something that happened in the past? How can he get over it?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

Your post does not have many details, but I presume that you are seeking advice for someone who has been emotionally disturbed by some past traumatic event.

Usually, people recover from emotional trauma with support and passage of time. It depends on the severity of symptoms and the trauma involved. Family and friends should offer the patient psychosocial support.

Support the person to look after themselves and provide a listening ear whenever needed. Try to distract them from pensive thoughts by joining in music, movies, plays, etc. Encourage them to go exercise regularly. Patience and perseverance are needed in helping them to recover.

If the person continues to be mentally unstable despite family support, you can consult a doctor for further assessment of mental health and support accordingly. Take care.

How to cope when a sibling is seriously ill?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a brother who is sick since a month. I am feeling very helpless without him and I am deprived of sleep. I keep thinking about him the whole day. How can I overcome this situation?  Read Full »

How to correct bedwetting of a 9 year old?

Query: Hi doctor, My child, who is 9 years old, has bedwetting problem. Please suggest me.  Read Full »

I am ready to help a sex chat agent by giving her some money. Is it right?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having severe mental problems and I cannot concentrate on anything. I am a civil engineer and working in a private firm. I am married and have one child. I am unable to take my wife with me because of financial issues. My wife got pregnant last year and since then I have stayed alone...  Read Full »