Q. Is it possible for a dentist to differentiate between enamel wear and acid reflux?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

My husband had not been to the dentist in five years. He drinks one to two energy drinks and multiple cans of soda daily for 15 years. He brushes his teeth twice a day and flosses regularly. After five years, he recently went to the dentist, and they told him he needed to be checked for acid reflux. My husband first noticed the symptoms around ten months ago. He had sore mouth and yellowish teeth. Can a dentist tell the difference between enamel wear from acid reflux and enamel wear from energy drinks and soda usage?

#

They are quite the same. Energy drinks or simple aerated drinks such as sodas contain mild acid that wears off enamel if consumed regularly.

A person can have acid reflux for many reasons, and consuming these drinks is a very common cause. But of course not the only cause or deciding factor. So, it is best to get checked for acid reflux on the safer side. I would recommend avoiding those drinks for a week and seeing if there is any change. Acid reflux, the feeling of acidity, foul breath, and burning sensation of the stomach are common symptoms. Also, sensitivity and caries are common symptoms.

Kindly let me know if that is all. I would be very happy to help again.

|