Q. My teeth are brown due to high chlorine in the water. How to make them whiter?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 29, 2021

I am trying to make my teeth white. I am brushing my teeth twice a day. But it is not working. My region has high chlorine in water and so I have brown teeth. What is the solution?

#

The brown appearance of teeth is not related to stains or plaque. There is actual chipping of enamel showing a brown dentin layer. This condition is referred to as enamel hypoplasia. If anyone in your family has this similar condition, then it is known as amelogenesis imperfecta. Forceful brushing of teeth makes enamel weak. This condition can occur acquired or genetically. I suggest you use a soft bristle toothbrush. Use Sensodyne rapid relief toothpaste. Use Hiora K mouthwash. For resolving your issue permanently, you need full mouth rehabilitation. Follow these measures to avoid having further chipping off enamel and sensitivity in the teeth. For aesthetic issues, you can use a Zirconia crown on the front tooth. Avoid eating citrus or acidic foods and cold drinks. They can initiate sensitivity.

You can have enamel hypoplasia or Amelogenesis imperfecta. It can occur genitally if any of your family members have it.

For having a permanent solution, you need full-mouth rehabilitation. Use desensitizing toothpaste and mouthwash as supportive care.

Avoid taking acidic or cold drinks or coffee to avoid having further sensitivity or stains.

|